Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rewind.

I promise I tried to post a new post at the end of LAST week and it didn't go through. It's been a little crazy around here so blogging hasn't been at the top of the priority list, but there's so much to talk about :) First, let me say that "a crew who prays together...stays together" and honesty is always the best policy. Madisynne and I have both been learning so much about the challenges and joys of working exclusively with one person for week after week. We begin to learn each others habits, each others thoughts, but also how to get under each other's skin and what the problems are as well. God has been challenging us to center our partnership around Him each and every day through prayer and devotions, rather than relying on our own "people skills" to make this work!

Last night we did a devotion on value. We put value on so many things. Relationships, ourselves, money, material things, services that people do for us, etc etc. Where do we look to for the standard for value? Last night we had a great talk on how important it is to look solely to God for value. He created us and He has made us in HIS image! How valuable is that?? It's like the story "You Are Special" by Max Lucado, an amazing reminder of how God has given us a purpose for each and every day and THAT is how He realizes our value - by giving us existence!

So to rewind over the past two weeks:
PRETEEN! - Preteens are literal thinkers. We found that out the first night when we brushed our teeth "Week of Hope" style...as in Madisynne brushed mine from behind my back, and the adult leaders came to us the next morning to tell us that their kids had all run to the bathroom and tried to do it themselves. :P Whoops! But for the programs it was really neat to see how the object lessons and ways that we describe things were taken straight to heart without any presuppositions or attitudes about it. Preteens have energy, that's no secret. But they're willing to devote it to anything you ask them to. God threw such an encouraging group at us that week and it was really exciting to see the kids bonding as teh week went by.

LAST WEEK - Wow what a mix! We had 40 kids (I like small groups...i can learn 40 names :P) and about half of them were a group from Cali who had previously planned on going to Mexico but last minute had to switch and decided to come here. Then we had the matching headbands group from Colorado and a tye-dye t-shirt group from somewhere in Utah...needless to say Madisynne and I didn't forsee a great "mixing" vibe from this group, but once again God was there to prove us wrong :) From leading singing to baseball in the gym, to stacking cans and singing in the kitchen, these groups all came together seamlessly to make sure that camp was running smoothly. God brought people into my life from that week that I wasn't expecting. That I wasn't looking for. Isn't that how He works best? God doesn't want to live up to our expectations, I've found. Our expectations are wayyyy too low for Him! He takes everything that we expect, tosses most of it out the window, and then showers us with blessings that exceeded anything we could have imagined. What a wonderful lesson to be learning :) However last week also brought it's own challenges. I was having a spiritual battle with God over speaking about things that I myself was struggling with. I was leading a program on freedom from captivity and yet there were things I felt I myself was still holding on to and refusing to give to God. It took alot of prayer, some tears, and a good friend to make me see that again I needed to turn to God with those questions and doubts. I needed to turn to Him to realize that I didn't have to be perfect to be used by God and I didn't have to be struggle-less to help others realize their struggles as well.

Needless to say, it's been quite amazing to see the difference in camps from week to week. From numbers to ages to backgrounds to attitudes...God's throwing every curveball possible. Be praying for health and rest. Madisynne and I have both been less than 100% for the last few days of the last two camps because of health issues, so we really need God's hand of protection over us for the next few weeks. I put the fun stuff from the weeks on facebook like videos and such...weekend getaways, lights out activities, etc. Thanks for praying!

-KristawithHOPE!

No comments:

Post a Comment